• From a one-word expletive shouted across the kitchen table to a deadly
confrontation in a parking lot with a firearm --
• An unanswered "Hello" becomes a long-standing feud --
• Unresolved Conflict is everywhere around us.
• To families: domestic abuse, custody battles, communication breakdowns
• To schools: student and faculty assaults, harassment, lost class time
• To neighborhoods: neighbor disputes, gang violence, police time wasted
• To businesses: loss of productivity, needless litigation, backstabbing,
• To innocent parties: collateral damage of every kind
HERE IS JUST A SNAPSHOT
• One in two marriages ends in divorce
• There are as many family members in the U. S. that don't speak, than
• Homicides are the second leading cause of death among 15-24 year olds
• Schoolyard fights in California rose by 16% in 2001
• A lawsuit can take 2.5 years, on the average, to come to trial
• Of the 10 million civil lawsuits filed each year, only 10% ever get to a
• Employers lose 64% of wrongful termination cases averaging $600,000
• Legal costs to an employer who WINS a dispute is about $50,000, plus
• Unresolved conflicts result in over 8,000 reported hate crimes per year
• Stress from conflict may increase a person's risk for cardiovascular
disease, psychological disorders, workplace injury, and other health
• In divorce cases, conflict often escalates from the time a couple
determines they want a divorce until the divorce is final
UNRESOLVED CONFLICTS EXPLODE SO FREQUENTLY INTO VIOLENT ACTS THAT THE
CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL (CDC) HAS CALLED THIS SITUATION A "PUBLIC
The First Line of Defense … Resolve rather than Escalate conflict.
Conflict is natural, necessary and an opportunity for growth. Most
conflicts … from personal to business to community … can be peaceably
resolved with the proper tools.
One such tool is mediation, a positive, empowering and confidential
process for resolving conflict. With the benefit of a neutral third party
disputants can come together face-to-face in an environment that promotes
collaboration, peace, the preservation and restoration of relationships
and reduction of stress and violence.
Well, here's the problem … as successful as mediation and other
alternative dispute resolution options have been, (85-90% success rate)
the general public is still largely unaware of these resources, and how
they can work in their daily lives. The bottom line: THOUGH IT CAN CHANGE
THE LIVES OF EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON EARTH, COOPERATIVE CONFLICT
RESOLUTION IS QUITE OFTEN AN UNTAPPED RESOURCE.
Enter Barb North, Mediator, Trainer, Keynote Speaker, Conflict Manager and
Personal Conflict Coach. Entertaining as well as informative, Barb, a
stand-up comedian, television producer and talent manager added a "second
career" as a certified mediator for a Community and Court Mediation
Program over fifteen years ago. A classic "middle child" and always
involved in mediating disputes for people, formal training helped Barb
understand and refine what she was already doing naturally. Her years of
experience as a mediator and trainer have become a foundation for the
empowering tips she offers her clients. Now, literally thousands of
disputes later, Ms. North presents a new way of thinking about conflict;
using it to strengthen relationships and create a Win Win situation for
all the parties. Barb had designed and/or implemented over 2,500
trainings, mediated more than a thousand disputes, taught organizations
how to deal with internal conflicts, and appeared on Network and Cable
television to share her insights. She has some simple answers to resolving
and changing the way we all view conflict.
We are human and live in the "real world". Conflict is natural and
sometimes disputes arise. Unresolved conflict can escalate rapidly.